Re: Does my transformer have PCB oil????????

Original poster: "Yurtle Turtle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

As old as that "pig" is, it was probably at least
topped off numrous times, if not totally drained and
refilled, during its life. If it had been drained of
PCB oil and refilled with non-PC oil, it will pass the
density test, but fail the EPA definition of non-PCB.

Adam

> Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>
>

> Thanks for the reply.  As the transformer leaked
> almost its entire load of
> oil in the trunk of my car, I was a bit concerned.
> However, I did some research and there is a simple
> test to detect the
> presence of PCB oil.
>
> WATER DENSITY TEST
>
> Since PCB oil has a density of about 1.5 (water
> being 1.0), it is heavier
> than water.  Therefore, I took a small amount of the
> oil and then mixed it
> with a glass of water.
> The oil was completely floating on top of the water
> which should be a good
> indication that it is just mineral oil or some
> derivative and not PCB.   So
> thats good.
>
> There is another method involving the heating of a
> copper rod to detect the
> presence of chlorine, but i currently dont' have a
> small blow torch.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Dan

=====