Re: Vacuum/blast gap

Original poster: "Stacy Gillett by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sgillett-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi Steven,

On my coil, I have tried the RQ gap with some gentle airflow from a
microwave oven fan, as well as the sucker gap with a 900VA vacuum motor:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/stacy/RQgap.jpg

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/stacy/vacgap.jpg

Apart from the noise they make (the sucker gap makes a "sizzling" noise
compared to the lower growl of the RQ gap), they both result in roughly the
same streamer length and intensity from the coil.  Both gaps were set at
about the same spacing (0.25")

How large are your sucker gap electrodes?  I use 20mm brass all-thread and
reducers with 900VA of input power, and with the vacuum running full blast,
they stay cold even minute-long runs.  I would imagine that smaller
electrodes that can't sink as much heat could have an effect on performance.

I also noticed that, running the coil on the sucker gap without the vacuum
turned on, performance was terrible!  While I was getting 36" or so with
airflow, this dropped down to less than an inch without airflow (basically
topload corona and little else).  It seems that getting the right amount of
airflow is pretty crucial to the coil's performance.

By the way, I've noticed that descending multi-note whistle when the vacuum
is turned off as well --- now I know it's not just a quirk of my own coil
:-)

Stacy.