RE: First light with new MMC PLEASE HELP!!

Original poster: "Dave Hartwick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ddhartwick-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Malcolm,
I use that red wire. Is it no good? This stuff is made by Rea, and I believe
is  nysol.

I've wound from 4" to 10" secs with varying gauges and have not had any
problems.

Dave Hartwick

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Greg,

On 15 Sep 2002, at 19:32, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

> Malcolm,
>
> > Current has to be the culprit and my guess is that a shorted turn
> > resulting from voltage stress between turns is most likely. What
> > kind
> > of wire are you using and what is the insulating coating? I
> > presume
> > the coil is closewound (nothing wrong with that per se)?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Malcolm
>
> Please see reply to Ted's post for coil stats. I think I will wind a
> new secondary, but will use stranded PVC coated wire for the bottom 10
> inches or so of the coil. Scott D has had success with this. Hopefully
> it will handle the extra current better, though I worry about the
> measly 1kV rating. What do you think?

I think bolstering insulation between turns at the bottom is a good
idea. If base current was a problem, you'd get a diminishing glow
from the bottom turn up. It has to be a shorted turn (or one shorting
thanks to a spark between it and its nearest neighbour.
    You said polyesteramide? What colour is the wire coating? Not red
by any chance? I use polyester*imide* for all applications.

Regards,
malcolm