RE: terry's nst filter:power res overheating?

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

For power resistors, 120 F is nothing!  If you can touch them without
smelling burnt skin, they're all right.

Of greater concern is the width of your main gap.  Power throughput,
performance, and consequently, power through the resistors, will all
increase as the gap width increases.  But so does the voltage that your NST
and Cap sees.  1/2" is much too wide for a 12kV NST.  My 15kV NST runs with
a 0.25-0.30" gap width.  Assuming the main gap is wired across the NST, the
width should be set by adjusting it to just fire when the primary tap is
disconnected.  Reducing your gap width will diminish performance, but your
NST and cap will live much longer.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA