Re: New toroid (fwd)

Original poster: Tesla List Moderator <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:24:37 EDT
From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: New toroid

In a message dated 9/18/02 8:36:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> I tried to cut the ends
> smooth between two segments so I could join the ends and have even groups
> of
> four segments.  Then I realized the material is one continuous spiral and
> it
> is impossible to cut flat on the ends.

Ed,

the key is to not stretch the material before bending.  this way
it stays much stronger.  The ends can be cut flat enough by
following the spiral about 3/4 of the way around, then cutting
across the spiral.  This *rough* area is placed inside where
it's not seen in the finished product.  This will produce a very
nice looking joint.  But I agree it's pretty flimsy stuff overall.
Ralph recommended a stronger material the other day.