Re: Will this particular Arc Welder work as a ballast????

Original poster: "Jan Wagner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi>

> I've noticed that lots of guys are concerned about what which welder would
> make a good ballast, and for what price.  I personally would recommend going
> to an equipment auction  ( they're everywhere, even in unpopulated areas
> like mine), and look for welders.  The one's that they do sell are good,
> high amp production machines, usually up to 400 plus amps, and sometimes
> they go by the pair as opposed to individually.  Prices, by the way, are
> generally very reasonable.

Why not look at metal junk yards? Those I've been at usually had huge
piles of 50/60Hz mains ballast inductors, price on a total-weight basis
i.e. close to free. If the inductance is too small, you could always wire
a few up in series.

"I" would use a good welder xfmr (or complete welder, for that matter) for
welding, not as ballast... :-)

cheers,
 - Jan

--