RE: New 4" coil: R.Hull and CSN, Secondary Varnish

Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>

Dan:
My first secondary was Polyurethane on Plexiglas. Looked nice at first but
it quicly yellowed and became flaky. So, when I built a 6x42 PVC form with
green wire, I wanted to highlight the green column. I chose Envirotex Epoxy,
2-part.

I tested it over and over to be sure I could mix it correctly. To little of
either part results in a coat that never cures. Lots of vigorous mixing
using tongue depressers cut flat at one end. Party drink cups. Clear so you
can see how much you poured in and that part 1 and 2 are equal.

I spun the tube on the motor winder as I poured. I spread it with a wide
polyurethane foam brush. If I had to do it again, I would now use a heavy
rubber blade like window washers use. It spreads a greater amount, evenly
and quickly. Thow it away after.

But the stuff is wonderful when done correctly. Hard as a rock and does not
peal, chip, discolor...oh oh, I sound like a commercial. And all Ace
Hardware stores can get it or you can order direct by web.

Nice people in the customer service group to answer newbie questions too.

Safety First

Ted