Re: A Marx-like design

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kchdlh-at-juno-dot-com>

Jim (& all)-

Comments interspersed...

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:47:50 -0600 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>

> This is very clever....
> Here are some questions that strike me...
> What's the loss across all those gaps... The IR loss will be low,
> because
> the gaps are short and the current high, but there's an irreducible
> cathode
> drop.  In arc welding (stick, not TIG or MIG), it's really hard to
> get a
> stable arc below 20V or so, and that's with a molten electrode on
> one end,
> implying that you're going to have 20-30V drop in each gap.

Huh!...I'll accept 20-30 V!  Even IGBTs, according to how I see them (see
recent posting), will drop 10 V or so.

> Each cap gets charged to around 300V (resonant charging, 120V input,
> etc.),
> so you're kind of stuck with a 10% hit there..  240V charging would
> help a
> bunch, because then you're just looking at 600V total on each cap,
> with a
> 5% hit...  I'll bet there's some nice sweet spot where the hassle of
>
> voltage multipliers or transformers to get the per gap voltage up
> reduce gap losses) gets to be more than the improved performance.

I'm looking toward 600 V or so, not 300.  I figure I should be able to
reach 600 peak rather easily, from the ~150 mains-peak, with only a
moderate Q in the 60 Hz resonant elements.

> An idea... if you use some sort of gas gap, or maybe even a suitable
>
> semiconductor switch, you might be able to get the "gap loss" down..
> I've
> seen Marx configuration pulsers built with avalanche transistors,
> but I
> don't know if they have the power handling you need.  Does an SCR
> (or
> really, a 4 layer diode, because you'd leave the gate unconnected)
> have a
> fast enough "turnon" to work in this application?

Fast enough turn-on, yes, I should think...but paralleled units would be
needed to handle 1000 A peak or so--bringing the annoyance of unequal
current sharing.  It's well worth thought, though.

KCH