Re: Quadrant Tesla System - Ideas for HV phase shifting?????

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 9/21/02 12:33:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Dan and all,
>
> Suppose the 4 secondaries were really an independent pair of twins,
> physically spaced 90 degrees apart and electrically running asynchronously.
> I would think that would produce the appearance cited below.  Each pair
> would have their arcs crossing each other about in the middle, yes?
>
> --Steve

Hi Steve, All,
       I believe it would be highly unlikely to get crossed arcs in this
configuration. If you do the geometry, you will see that the opposite pole of
each pair is at 40% longer distance from its mate than the adjacent one of the
other pair. Even with random phasing it is much more likely that you will get
arcs around the square rather than across the diagonals. Unfortunately, there
isn't any geometric figure (in 3-D Cartesian space) with more than two
vertices, where a line drawn through the center is shorter than the distance
between two adjacent vertices. I think the best you can hope for would be four
or six coils with a grounded sphere in the center and pulse the coils to it
sequentially or in pairs..

Matt D.