Re: Tesla's Revenge? For review & comment.

And, of course, electric blasting caps are specifically designed to be EMI
resistant.  They have an aluminum outer shell, the bridge wire is quite
small, it's a twisted pair leading out.  In a quarry or demolition blasting
environment the leg wires would be spread out, and are long enough to pick
up significant energy, particularly at VHF frequencies (such as those used
by low band radios), hence the signage to "turn off radio transmitters" at
blasting sites.  That said, I doubt that there have been any cases of
inadvertent detonation by RF in recent history, even given the enormous
amount of explosives use in industry.

As for flying EMP weapons, etc.... Simple calculations will show that it's a
tough challenge to make something like that work, congressional testimony by
self interested parties (do a google search, you'll find it)  not
withstanding. You'll notice that the testimony and reports takes the form of
"ohh there's this huge threat, and we've done research, which we'll be happy
to review in closed session"..  Fairly easy to make detectable minor effects
(i.e. noise on a poorly shielded receiver, which, after all, is receiving
femtowatts), pretty hard to make big things happen (melting wires, chips,
exploding a blasting cap).

FWIW, a blasting cap requires on the order of 1 Joule to fire.

"Death rays" created by any means are non-trivial, and have all sorts of
unintended side effects.