RE: small coil-i think

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Actually, designing a simple tesla coil is extremely simple.  Check out the
archives for design cad programs such as TCAD, TeslaCad, or Wintesla.  They
will do all the math for you.

Your transformer would do fine for a small coil.  I use a 4kV, 38mA
transformer for my small coil and it works great.

Basically you would start your calculations (using a cad program) based on
what things you have.

For instance, you know your transformers rating.  Just enter that into the
cad program (making sure you select the proper 50 or 60Hz depending on where
you live), and from there you can determine the tank capacitor size you
need.

Now all you need to do is design your secondary coil and primary coil.
Basically, you just design to what types of materials you have handy.

Its very simple, really.

Dan

this is my first post.

i know about the basics and dangers of tesla coils but the mathematics
involved in designing a tuned circit are a bit much for me, i am a repair
engineer and have fixed a miriad of things from instruments to bulldozers,
mechanical, electromechanical and electrical devices, i've always wanted to
build a coil for the sheer satifaction, the enjoyment of their beauty, to
amaze my friends and to take to schools as an educational tool.

ok, so much for the drivvel.

i have a high frequency unit out of a hobart tig welder, i thought this
might make a good starting point, i really dont know, thats why i'm writing
in.
the transformer is 3,000v at .08amps, both out leads each go into a 100micro
henry coil and then connect across a .03mfd mica capacitor, the spark gap is
a double gap in paralell on one of the output leads, the output then goes
inth an air core transformer, the secondary is the welding cable from the
main welding current transformer, in one end and out the other to pick up
the HF. i'd get rid of this air core transformer of course.

!) can i use this without modification as the bottom end of a tesla coil?
2) is there anyone out there who can give me dimensional specs  for the
'business end' of the circuit.
 i have copper pipe in 1\8, 3\16, 1\4, 5\16, 3\8 or 1\2 inch for the
primary. i can get pvc pipe from my local irrigation supplier, i can get
toroids of various sizes from my local exhaust repairer, i can get copper
wire of any size form my motor rewinder in the next town.
i had ideas of building something around 2 feet high and 6 inches in
diameter but i realise the primary circuit will determine the dimensions of
the 'business end'

can anyone help?

regards richard
from naracoorte, a small country town in south australia