Re: Mad experiment

*sigh* How easy it is to become what you despise.

Viktor,&#1055;&#1086;&#1079;&#1076;&#1088;&#1072;&#1074;&#1083;&#1077;&#1085
;&#1080;&#1103;
&#1086;&#1090; &#1043;&#1088;&#1091;&#1087;&#1087;&#1099;
&#1042;&#1099;&#1088;&#1086;&#1076;&#1082;&#1072; :)

If you study the aforementioned thread you'll see that I'm in an unusual
position on this topic. I've been a reader, and frequent poster to the
Pupman list for quite a while now and have come from someone who had never
built, or even seen a coil, to someone who gives demonstrations with them on
a regular basis to science classes. I've built and run everything from small
tabletops, up to fairly large pig systems. I have access to any of the gear,
tools, and proper equipment that would be required do perform this stunt, as
well as competant instruction on exactly how to do it, by people that do it
for a living (we have members that perform it). Yet I as yet have NOT
performed the stunt.

I have fought the hoarding of information in the coiling community because
it goes against some of my most basic beliefs about freedom of information.
I don't believe in telling someone, "No, you can't know that because you're
not ready and you'll hurt yourself."

This is why I have the job that I do.

The topic of how to perform arcs off the fingers comes up regularly, but it
always gets shot down because the only people that do it are professional
coilers and they *really* don't like to share secrets about how they do
their magic. It's a mixture of it being not only a firecely competitive
business, but the major liabilities involed. Despite the fact that only 3
people have ever died from coiling related activities, that doesn't mean
that they're safe. And about the single most unsafe thing you can do is try
interfacing a coil with a human, it's a fast way to kill yourself if any of
a thousand variables (many of which you can't control) aren't right.

I pushed the issue, I got the right answers, and I found out how to do it
safely (DOING it is easy, doing it SAFELY is hard) from people that know,
and that I am willing to trust, literally, with my life. If you seriously
wish to perform it, search the archives, the answers are there, in the
thread that Terry posted. If for some reason they aren't, email me, and I
will explain the process to you offlist. But as it truely discusts me to
say, and I never thought I would hear this come from my brain.

"Don't do it, you're not ready, and you stand an unreasonable risk of
getting injured or killed."

I'm not saying you're not lucky enough too pull it off and live, that
happens. I'm saying you don't have enough experiance with coils to perform
the stunt safely and not have to rely on "Luck". When you read 80 posts a
day of people asking about Tesla Coils you develop an unusual skill common
to most teachers. Based simply by the question you ask, many of the people
on this list can tell where you are on the learning curve of coiling. We
know this, because we all asked those questions ourselves :) This is a hobby
that hasn't changed all that much in about 100 years. Aside from technology
in caps, the basic idea of a coil and how it works hasn't really changed all
that much since old man T invented it.

Take the time to tinker and explore, develop your abilities and play safe.
When you're ready to "Ride a topload" you'll know, and you won't have ANY
doubt. The downside is by the time you're ready, you likely won't want too.
That's just the way it works.

If I can be of any help, please feel free to ask either onlist, or off. I
can be reached at chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com and I live to help people learn
about science :)

I sincerely apologise to you, and all the other newbs if I have offended
anyone. But I've spent enough time here getting flamed by the Old Boys to
learn a few things the hard way, and getting zapped doing dumb things in the
lab and I'd like to save a few people some painful lessons, and maybe keep
you alive long enough to be the first Russian to get caps from the Group :)

Have fun, and play safe!

Chris Boden
President / C.E.O.
The Geek Group
&#1087;&#1086;&#1089;&#1082;&#1086;&#1083;&#1100;&#1082;&#1091;
&#1042;&#1099;&#1088;&#1086;&#1076;&#1086;&#1082;
&#1076;&#1086;&#1083;&#1078;&#1077;&#1085;
&#1091;&#1085;&#1072;&#1089;&#1083;&#1077;&#1076;&#1086;&#1074;&#1072;&#1090
;&#1100;
&#1047;&#1077;&#1084;&#1083;&#1102;!

> > Original poster: "=?koi8-r?B?98nL1M/S?= by way of Terry Fritz
> > <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <henergy-at-mail.ru>
> >
> > In Internet I many times saw photos with such content. The man
> > costs(stands) on an isolated support,
> > to it(him) the reel of a Tesla and from fingers of this man in air
>strewed
> > streamers is connected.
> > And it not a double exposure. I would like to iterate such mad
> > experiment... It is clear, that the
> > responsibility for it I take on myself. From here questions. Whether the
> > Tesla coil with such parameters
> > will approach for these purposes: power 450W, target voltage about
>850KV,
> > resonant frequency about 100Khz?
> > The arcs from such coil have length about 25ÓÍ. From what, and what
>height
> > it is desirable to make an isolated
> > support? How to make, that the streamers went only from fingers? Where
>it
> > is necessary to connect the reel
> > (to hands, legs?)? Whether there is an odds, what clothes on me?
> >
> > Somebody in this dispatch did(made) similar (connection to itself
>flyback
> > it is not considered)?
> >
> > Once again I underline: the responsibility I take on myself and
>perfectly I
> > realize danger of this experiment.
> >

> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Viktor                          mailto:henergy-at-mail.ru
> > http://www.high.h1.ru

Christopher "Duck" Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group
www.thegeekgroup-dot-org

"He had that rare weird electricity about him--that
extremely wild and heavy presence that you only see in
a person who has abandoned all hope of ever behaving
normally." --Hunter S. Thompson