HV probe for primary measurements

Original poster: "Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

Hello TCML,

I would like to use my CRO to examine the waveforms in my primary
circuit during operation. Can someone point me in the direction of
some suitable schematics for either a HV probe or some kind of
current transformer metering device? I saw Terry's setup using the
optocouplers, but I can't find any schematics or theory of operation.
Can I just use a big string of resistors? The idea of directly
measuring the primary voltages and currents, quite frankly, scares
the utter crap out of me. But I am determined to investigate them. I
will NOT be touching the CRO during operation as a result. I just
don't want to go anywhere near it.

What about making a current transformer by winding some wire around a
ferrite core?

Cheers,

Greg.