first light at 200BPS

Original poster: "Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

Hello all,

Well tonight, fellow list member and coil builder Paul A came to
witness my 12" coil in operation. At first we ran the coil at 400BPS
(sync) and noted that varying the phase angle made no change to the
output (as expected) and that the current draw was surging and
causing plenty of scary noises to come from the ballast welders and
pole pig, showing that at this break rate, there is probably little
advantage to synchronous operation over async operation. Nothing
wrong with the sparks though, solid >10 foot arcs and easy 9.5 foot
strikes to a grounded pole. We then removed half the electrodes from
the rotor for 200BPS operation. I have always been a booster for
ASRSGs, but I have to say I am converted. The sparks were no longer
(though Paul may not agree). So why do I love SRSGs now? Well, the
coil was an absolute pleasure to operate. Kind of like controlling a
light with a dimmer. The current and voltage meters stayed dead still
(except when I varied them myself). Current draw dropped to under 30
amps. So now I'm making over 10 foot arcs with less than 7.2kVA. This
was with a nasty shorted turn and a breakout point on the toroid.
This is pretty efficient in anyone's books as far as I'm concerned.
Paul can back up these figures. I can't wait to wind a bigger
secondary, add more tank capacitance and run it at 100BPS!

Cheers,

Greg.