Re: jet powered coil

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: "J Dow by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jdowphotography-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Hello all
>
>Surf on over to this web page and check out the Turbo Jet I'm emulating.
>http://www.gas-turbines-dot-com/
>
>The Idea is to generate electricity with the jet and use it to power the
>coil.
>I'm shooting for 1000 watts. We will see...
>
>Hear is my question
>I'm designing my own generator that will be able to take the huge RPM that
>the turbo spins at. It red lines at 70,000 RPM but I don't think the
>alternator will see more than 50,000 RPM. So if I'm spinning a magnet
>surrounded by wire at such great speeds, will the AC waveform be a problem?
>I don't expect it will be as slow as 60hz. I'm wondering if it would be a
>hassle for a spark gap design, Or coil operation in general of that mater.
>What say you?
>
>Read you later
>Josh

Hi Josh...

you will need a gear reducer that will put the ratio down ( 13.8:1) to
at least a maximum of 3600 rpm for the generator...

most generators run at 1800 rpm ( small units) , larger units run at 900
rpm ( large diesel driven types)

winding your own generator will be a project all in its own , much less
the gearing assembly, bearing specs, cooling, lubrication on the input
side of the gearbox.

doing a direct drive will result in a catastrophic failure... the rotor
( of any apreciable size will fly apart) will have to be built beyond
standards known today.

SD