Re: HV probe for primary measurements

Original poster: "robert heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-desertgate-dot-com>

Greg: a healty respect is valid. From the net. 16 turns of insulated wire
wound on a ferrite core via a 50 ohm coax to a 3W 50ohm noninductive load to
a scope or volt meter with the ground/shield well grounded. I suggest a
single strand of RG8 core or other high voltage wire as the core wire to
your NST and spark gap. Just a single HV wire threaded through the hole of
the toroid. If you use a fold open or cut in half toroid you can make a
clamp-around current connection with a 16:1 ratio. I have made these with
two 1/2 toroids glued to  a clothes pin to hold the toroid pieces together
for use. A Dremmel-tool cut off wheel will cut ferrite if you can't find one
pre-cut or hinged.
  Robert  H