Re: Magnets

Hi Antonio,

At 09:53 PM 9/28/2002 -0300, you wrote:
>Tesla list wrote:
>hmmmmmm. But the person with the electrized hair is on the Earth
>surface, that moves at a considerable speed, and the Earth moves
>around the Sun even faster, and the Sun carries the Earth along
>even faster... Some magnetic field must exist. or, if it doesn't,
>why? Einstein started with questions like this.
>(Couldn't resist too...)

..........>
>Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz

Realizing I am terrible at field theory stuff (E-tesla and "me" just a
fluke...  Like software and Bill Gates :oD) I have an idea...

Measuring absolute E-fields strengths at various places in space is useful
to us.  I wonder if it would be possible to use a rotating Hall effect
sensor driven by a plastic air pump to detect the magnetic field created
buy the E-field of a Tesla coil and the spinning Hall device.  Perhaps the
fields would be far too weak to register or the local fields in the radius
traveled buy the sensor would not be enough.  Perhaps the dielectric
constant of the plastic disk or the needed few connecting wires would just
foul the fields all up......

A probe that could measure E fields directly (V/m) with high bandwidth (
>1MHz ) and would not disturb the field being measured is one of those
illusive machines that does not exist but would have high value to Paul and
myself trying to figure out such things...  We have found a few cool tricks
over the years, so finding such a device "may" not be beyond us :-))

I "imagine" a pole with a small spinning disk on it that you could probe
next to a Tesla coil and through fiber optics the signal on the scope would
say 50000 V/m...

Although we "can" calculate fields, some recent confusion with breakout
potentials has us a bit baffled...  Seems my coil likes to breakout at far
higher voltages than it should given the voltage and radius.  Without some
good measurements, it is hard not to get off on the wrong track trying to
discover the answer...  Have to spend the rest of the night figuring out
this cool paper on such things!!:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/OtherPapers/phd_plank.pdf

Cheers,

	Terry