RE: VTTC/SSTC Spark Appearance Comparison

Original poster: "Justin Hays by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pyrotrons2000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi All,

Hmmm...seems there are two types of VTTC arc: perfectly straight, and
branching. My following thoughts/ponderings are in specific regard to
the operation of VTTC's known to make straight arcs.

(snip from The Captain)
 > Since the tube is operating at a much lower duty cycle

Perhaps a VTTC input waveform (to the primary) is  50/60Hz "bumps" of
RF with faster rise and fall times than normal. The waveform would be
drifting away from a sine wave, looking more like a quick pulse with
very smooth edges. "Smooth" pulsed power. The repetition rate would
still be 50/60Hz of course. (the waveform would look similar to the
graph of very high-Q resonance vs. frequency...)

Can someone link to an RF envelope (HV output with scope triggering
on the line) waveform of a toob coil that has the perfectly straight
swordlike arcs? This waveform should tell all and I can't find one
online.

Thanks for the help,

Justin Hays
KC5PNP