Re: Tube regulator for removing ripple . . .

What you're thinking about, then, is a cathode or emitter follower type
circuit?  I'd go for the solid state approach (no hassles with filament
power which would need to be floated at HV).  Or, can you put a series
regulator in the low side?

An NPN follower using a reasonably HV transistor might do nicely.  What
sort of power (current) are you talking about... if you're looking at an
amp with 100V ripple, that pass device is going to be dissipating on the
order of 100W.

The other reason that a tube might be a good choice and worth the hassles
of isolated filament power is in the event of an output short, the entire
4kV is going to appear across the pass device.

What about a shunt regulator?

What about a series inductive choke in your filter, rather than a straight
capacitor filter?