Re: Maxwell Capacitor - Air Bubble question . . .

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Dan,

Bubbles are common in many plastic packaged pulse capacitors, and its quite
likely that the cap came with the bubble from the factory. If the case is
intact (i.e., not leaking oil) and the bubble small, it will have
absolutely NO impact on the cap's performance or expected life.

Relatively large bubbles were purposely left inside cylindrical capacitors
(for example laser and pulse caps from CP) to provide a degree of "give"
when the capacitor innards heated up during heavy duty service. Rectangular
packages have built-in stress relief since the flexible sides can easily
expand outward a bit as necessary.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Out-of-Print Physics and Engineering Books and
coins shrunk by ultrastrong electromagnetic fields!