Re: Tube regulator for removing ripple . . .

At 04:09 PM 4/3/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Mark Broker by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
><mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>
>
>Pi filter - either LC or RC will work wonders.  The Pass Labs XA series
>audio amplifiers (the XA200 runs about $40kUSD!!) use multiple series RC
>filters for power supply ripple rejection.  I don't remember specific
>details, but the filters use thermistors.  Pi filters are supposed to work
>really well with class A loads (constant current draw), which sounds close
>to what you're doing.  A few quick and simple SPICE simulations would be a
>huge benefit, I think.
>
>As someone else suggested, a capacitance multiplier would be good, too.
>Although developed for an audio amp power supply,
>http://sound.westhost-dot-com/project15.htm is a good example of a capacitance
>multiplier, IMO.
>
>Isn't this whole thread a little OT?

Nahh.. I think it's on topic... Well filtered DC supplies for running tesla
coils are definitely of some interest.

Here's another approach suggested by someone at lunch..

A standard 3 phase rectifier has only 8% ripple with no filter.  Some
horribly complex and heavy combination of a induction motor (single to
three phase conversion) and 6 transformers (star and delta connected) to
make a 12 pulse rectifier should do even better.  Not only that, but the
ripple frequency is 180 or 360Hz, making a small inductor/capacitor filter
work even better.

Another thing would be to use capacitors on the AC line side to make 3
phase from single phase.