RE: Measuring Current Spikes on Pole Transformer Primary side

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

The test set-up is extremely simple.  All you need is an oscilloscope and a
Pearson current monitor.  Simply put the primary (240VAC side of pole
transformer) and monitor with oscilloscope.  Use a storage scope to capture
these high current transients.  You could also repeatedly capture the
transient spikes on a regular oscilloscope if you trigger it properly, and
with lots of luck!  If you don't have a storage oscilloscope, the Tektronix
2430A digital oscilloscopes work well although have a bit of a small
learning curve.  I have (3) 2430A oscilloscopes if you are interested in
purchasing one.  $500.00 each in excellent condition (no probes or manuals
though)  They are left over from my business.

The Captain

"Unless you use a scope across the input to see the "peak" power levels
...... "

Dr. R -

Can you describe the EXACT test setup that was used to enable you to see the
40-50 KVA spikes? What instrumentation was used, how was it connected, and
what steps were taken to ensure that the test setup was not picking up RFI
or EMI from the operating Tesla coil?

Regards,
Scott Hanson

  > Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

  > If you are using a pole xmfr with external reactor you need to realize
that
  > the pole xmfr, on very short pulsed cycles, will draw as much as 50 kVA
for
  > very short current spikes.  These are not evident unless you use a
storage
  > scope connected across the primary side.  The short high power spikes
occur
  > just as the reactor tries to saturate.  A standard 10 kva pole xmfr may
  > operate at short pulses of 40-50 kVA when used with a standard
non-saturable
  > reactor design.

(snip)