Re: Texas version of the Arizona OK corral shootout, ie, the Clanton's may have a secret they don't even know about

Original poster: "Bert Pool by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.tx-at-prodigy-dot-net>

Dr. Resonance said:

>Unless you use a scope across the input to see the "peak" power levels then
>John Feau's equation holds up in strict accordance.  These peak power pulses
>amount to a small "cheat factor" that would make one think he is only
>running at 3-5 kVA when in reality the peaks may be much larger.
>
>Magnifiers will produce very long sparks from small coils but the tradeoff
>in constant maintenance headaches is not worth the trouble in my opinion.

I really, really want a good storage scope!

D.C., as a commercial builder of big coils, reliability *has* to be at the
top of your design criteria.  Much like a commercial jet airliner - you
don't want unexpected failures.  Bullet proof.  I've seen your work first
hand, and no one builds better.  I'll bet you don't make many repair calls.

Magnifier builders like me generally are more like those racing bikers who
push the limits of the hardware until something breaks.
Richard Hull calls all the burned-up extra coils "cannon fodder".

I have coiling friends who flinch at turning up the variac all the way
because the capacitor or coil might fail.  Heck, I know the coil is gonna
short, the capacitor is gonna blow it's guts everywhere, eventually.  Might
as well see some big sparks first!

I wouldn't even try to build a serious magnifier and sell it to a museum.
There would be smoke coming out the door before you even got out of the
parking lot. . . .

Bert