RE: Measuring Current Spikes on Pole Transformer Primary side

Hi,

One may also want to monitor the voltage with a high voltage probe (a
standard probe would fry under such wild transient conditions).  If one
really is hitting 10's of kAmps, the line voltage will get jerked all over
the place.

Usually, the resistance of the wiring will dramatically damp such current
spikes.  But if you can get the inductances kicking thousands of volts into
things, the sky's the limit ;-))

Adding a heating element in series with things is usually a good idea since
tearing up the AC line can do a lot of damage.  A spike now and then will
not hurt things but if a coil send a barrage of AC line spikes around the
house for say 10 minutes straight...

It would be interesting to see scope captures of these types of super
current spikes.  That would help us protect against them.

Cheers,

         Terry