Re: OLTC maggy

Original poster: "boris petkovic by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > "Kickbacks", caused by interruption of the primary
 > current when it is
 > far from zero, can occur due to detuning, or
 > premature breakout at
 > the output. It is also important to switch the
 > primary in a way that
 > effectively opens the primary circuit for current in
 > both directions,
 > or some energy will be transferred back to the
 > primary while the
 > secondary oscillates freely, after the interruption
 > of the primary
 > current.
 > A problem with these fast modes is that the driver
 > inductance is larger
 > than the third coil inductance, and the secondary
 > capacitance has to
 > sustain a large voltage. Maybe possible to use a
 > distributed
 > capacitance.
---

Problem with "Kickbacks",and high voltage on
secondary-->isolation  problems in driver<- are just
some    problems in 1,2,n  modes.To name some others:

What is not observable in lumped analysis are voltage
gradients on coils and local E-field stress.

Futhermore ,if someone designs primary in way to
have more turns ,in order to secure higher primary
circuit impedance ,closely placed to 2nd coil
turns,than 3-coil system becomes even more complicated
.Distributed C2' between L2 and L1 cannot be
considered pure capacity of second coil with respect
to ground any more but is "blocked" by L1.This results
in interferrence versus optimum energy transfer to C3
(part of energy left somewhere else in
circuit).Fortunately ,OLTC primary with big cap and
small L1 (1-2 turns) decrease that problem.
The effect certainly exist in ordinary built 2 coil
system but is too small to be important for operation.

There are other potential problems with 1,2,n modes in
real system just waiting to be discovered.This is
completely an unexplored area as concerns spark
propagation too.I guess there's no smooth spark
propagation mechanism  but explosions of hot air from
extra coil toroid,mean arcs like in Mark bank
repeatable.

Some famous 3-coil systems outthere are actually
somewhere in half way between true magnifier operation
and 2-coil system showing immpressive performance,even
with high BPS rate.Maybe this is way to go,magnifier
wich is not optimised  .We don't know yet what is the
best for spark growth in 3-coil system,neither how in
reality high coupled system reacts to suddent release
of energy on C3.

regards,
Boris