Re: OLTC maggy

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "boris petkovic by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>

 > Problem with "Kickbacks",and high voltage on
 > secondary-->isolation  problems in driver<- are just
 > some    problems in 1,2,n  modes.To name some others:
 >
 > What is not observable in lumped analysis are voltage
 > gradients on coils and local E-field stress.

No important effects, except for the well known distributed
capacitance in the third coil. If the voltage at the top
of the second coil is significantly smaller than the
voltage at the top of the third, no other distributed
capacitances would have significant effect.

 > Futhermore ,if someone designs primary in way to
 > have more turns ,in order to secure higher primary
 > circuit impedance ,closely placed to 2nd coil
 > turns,than 3-coil system becomes even more complicated
 > .Distributed C2' between L2 and L1 cannot be
 > considered pure capacity of second coil with respect
 > to ground any more but is "blocked" by L1.This results
 > in interferrence versus optimum energy transfer to C3
 > (part of energy left somewhere else in
 > circuit).Fortunately ,OLTC primary with big cap and
 > small L1 (1-2 turns) decrease that problem.
 > The effect certainly exist in ordinary built 2 coil
 > system but is too small to be important for operation.

Two things can happen: If the primary coil is grounded,
its low impedance to ground and low voltage in relation
to the voltage in the second coil causes it to behave
as just ground, grounding its end of the L1-L2 capacitance.
If it is not grounded, the high voltage in the secondary
coil may couple to the primary coil in common mode, and
there is no significant L1-L2 capacitance contributing
to C2.
Not a good thing to the circuits connected to the primary...

The exact required value for the C2 capacitance can be
determined experimentally, with low-power tuning. A
significant part of it may be realized by the L2-L1
capacitance, and by the "lower end" capacitance of L3.

 > There are other potential problems with 1,2,n modes in
 > real system just waiting to be discovered.This is
 > completely an unexplored area as concerns spark
 > propagation too.I guess there's no smooth spark
 > propagation mechanism  but explosions of hot air from
 > extra coil toroid,mean arcs like in Mark bank
 > repeatable.

I imagine that streamer propagation occurs while the
energy is trapped in the resonator (in this case in
the L2-C2-L3-C3 system). I don't expect great difference
in the apparent output.

 > Some famous 3-coil systems outthere are actually
 > somewhere in half way between true magnifier operation
 > and 2-coil system showing immpressive performance,even
 > with high BPS rate.Maybe this is way to go,magnifier
 > wich is not optimised  .We don't know yet what is the
 > best for spark growth in 3-coil system,neither how in
 > reality high coupled system reacts to suddent release
 > of energy on C3.

Some data about the effective coupling of these coils
would be interesting. I guess that they are just well
designed (maybe by luck, or by experience) two coils
system. A definive test would be to rebuild one of these
coils as a two coils system, using the same power
supply and the same resonator.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz