Re: Z-Machine Sparkage - Substation Fault

Hi,

Having worked on many a substation, here's my guess as to what is going on.

The load hum is probably a low side power arc to ground.  The arc is
probably several feet long and burning the crap out of what ever it "was"
that started it all.  Given the location, this station looks like it
basically converts ~200kV AC down to 33,000 or 14,400 for local
distribution.  The power "in" is probably 200kV at say 500 amps three phase
for a toasty perhaps 170 Megawatts of power.  Since the arc is sustained,
the power is not enough to trip the downstream equipment.  So maybe it's
only 100 MW ;-))  The arc seems to be on the low voltage side since there
is obviously very high currents beyond 500 amps.

The stations breakers and control equipment are supposed to trip it all out
safely, but it ain't a working here ;-))  Very possibly a breaker is what
failed so there is no local control.  If the 200+ kV go into the control
side of the station, all bets are off in trying to just "turn it off" since
the control equipment is probably fried.  It is surprising the line carrier
and other fail-safe equipment does not instantly signal the down stream
station(s), but it sort of depends on what went wrong and how it was all
set up.  But at this point, the ship is not responding to the wheel ;-))

The people back in the control rooms just see all kinds of high currents
and loss of communications to a substation.  They are trying to figure it
out how to take it down manually through other stations but they have no
idea what exactly is going on so they are just seeing charts and numbers
flipping by...  They know something "bad" is going on, but not quite sure
what.  They "can" monitor police and fire but they usually have the volume
way down...  They used to have rows of pin printers that would suddenly
start to print "events" like mad...  But good luck in trying to figure out
something like this "fast"...

Eventually, the high power must have blown something inside the transformer
to cause massive overpressure and blowing it's seams.  The oil sprays
out.  You can see a loud explosion high in the high voltage side which
probably did finally trip the downstream stations as that big 200kV got
dead shorted (those currents are "high" ;-))  The spraying oil ignites and
the fire ball and all...  This is why non-flammable PCB oil was so popular ;-))

Nasty fire.  Probably just have to let it all burn out since it is very
hard to be sure all the power is removed before the fire folks go pouring
water on things.  Not like there is anything left to save...

This is a wonderful video of what most people only see after things are all
burnt up.  It is a good example of what "real power" is flowing through the
electrical grids!!  I wonder if a golf ball hit an oil filled
insulator...  Probably never knew what exactly happened...

BTW - We all used oil breakers for everything.  Never had any explosive
fuses.  They had explosives around in case they had to clear "blow-up"
equipment ;-))  But at the power transmission level, there were no "fuses".

Cheers,

         Terry