RE: Z-Machine Sparkage- Try this at home!!

Original poster: "brianb by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <brianb-at-antelecom-dot-net>

Sue,

Sorry about the URL wrapping to the next line (I don't know why Exchange
does that sometimes).

I added some detergent to reduce the surface tension of the water. This
produced much smaller pyramids of water which are very pointy and hard to
capture on camera as they go from a tiny bump on the water to a sharp point
then arc over with a slight change in voltage. It looks like sometimes it
actually pulls a small ball of water loose and this triggers the breakdown.

I also added salt to the water and noticed quite a change in the appearance
of the arcs. The overall distance (radius) they traveled didn't change but
the number of tiny arcs was reduced to a few thicker and brighter arcs. I'll
try to post some more pictures today.

Every couple dozen arcs creates a white flash and I've been unable to
identify its origin. The flash is easily observed by looking at the wall
behind the experiment or any of the test gear. I don't see it when looking
directly at the arcs on the water. Have you noticed anything similar? Any
idea what's going on?

Regards,
Brian B.

PS - Here is a shorter URL