Re: Magnifier conversion - "best" mode?

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

At 12:37 13/04/03 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>
>

>The peak voltage was 323kV (ideal case).  It was easy to modify my present
>MicroSim model for my small coil to add these values and some real good
>guesses as to what the actual losses will be:
>
>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NewMag/0413-02.gif
>
>Happily, even with the losses (especially the streamer loading), the
>values still give very good if not almost perfect C1 to C3 voltage conversion.
>
>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NewMag/0413-03.gif
>
>The peak voltage drops to 226 kV with loading.  However, the old model
>only got to 129kV!!
>
>http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NewMag/0413-04.gif
>
>That should give 3X the power to a streamer for a brief instant!!  While
>the two coil system gives a lower voltage over many cycles, the magnifier
>gives a much higher voltage over fewer cycles.

I don't understand what's going on here, surely conservation of energy
means that 1/2*C1*V1^2 = 1/2*C3*V3^2 + losses, whatever the configuration
of coils. So did that extra 100kV come from a reduction in losses through
faster transfer? When I modelled the 2-coil and 3-coil OLTCs, the peak
output voltages were almost identical. The 3-coil case was about 5% higher.

Steve C.