Re: RF breakdown across surfaces

Original poster: "David Sharpe by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

Jim

There is "a lot" of circumstantial data out there.  As a simple example:
I had a coworker whose microwave at failed after 18 years+ of fathful
service.  When performing a post moterm, it was determined the magnetron
had died (about the cost of a replacment oven).  We disassembled the
tube, the RF balun on the filaments, one of the ferrite slugs had fell out
while the tube was powered, causing one of the inductors to fail
(burnt enamel on one, overheated on other); which wrecked the emission
of the tube.

I checked vertical clearance of ceramic insulator to waveguide antenna
unit (about 5kV pk e-field), was ~0.38". FWIW.

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR
Chesterfield, VA. USA