RE: Transformer for Sale? POTENTIAL TRANSFORMER

Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

Hi Daniel,

 > You want a potential transformer for maximum effect on the small scale.
 > GE has these wonderful potential transformers rated at 1.5kVA, 14.4kV pri,
 > 120V sec which can be pushed to 3.5kW no problem for long periods of time.
 > These transformers  are also much easier to use than pole transformers
 > as well as they are dry and are relatively light compared to pole
 > transformers.  They also don't need a large current
 > limiting ballast such as an arc welder etc like their big pole brother
 > counterparts.  A simple 500ft spool of 12 AWG wire from Home Depot makes a
 > wonderful ballast for these things.  Terry Blake, myself, and others have
 > used the poor man's ballast with huge success!

You have a 500ft spool of 12 AWG wire in series with the input of the
potential transformer on just one leg?  Or do you have two of these spools,
one on each leg?  About what diameter is your 500 foot spool?  I've got
80lbs of 12 AWG magnet wire I'd like to use for winding my own ballast on my
potential transformer.  Do you have any pictures of your ballast?  I still
have vivid memories of running my potential transformer without the proper
ballast and would like to learn as much as possible before trying it again.

Dave