RE: Magnifier topload size?

Original poster: "Jeff W. Parisse by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jparisse-at-teslacoil-dot-com>

TCML,

A smooth metal toroid is the only pro way to go. Bumps or surface
perturbations lowers the breakout voltage by leaking off corona (or
streamers). A totally smooth toroid will develop the largest charge
before breakout and usually makes longer arcs. Many years ago (before
the founding of kVA) we compared many "homebuilt" alternatives to the
Smooth AL toroid and the results were pretty obvious that the smooth
toroids worked "better".

Greg's method allowed visitors to climb into the sphere and look out. I
bet he'd have more pF with a smooth continuous surface.

Jeff