RE: Transformer for Sale? POTENTIAL TRANSFORMER

Original poster: "Chris Roberts by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots"
<http://www.despair-dot-com/demotivators/cluelessness.html>http://www.despair-dot-com/demotivators/cluelessness.html
Just kidding =D
But as far as the coils of wire go, if you added another so that you had
two in series with the transformer, would that decrease the current draw
further? Are there any formulas, web pages, etc. that explain this? I'm not
planning on getting something like this for a long while (they still scare
the heck out of me) but I'd still like to learn as much about them as
possible. Thanks!

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz "

No question is stupid. You may get stupid answers (like I sometimes do),
but all questions are valid.
Basically, simply put its a heating issue. Almost all transformers can be
pushed beyond their rated power rating.
However, reliability starts going down drastically beyond that point.
Insulation, wiring, and other materials will
start breaking down at higher operating temperatures than what is rated for
a particular transformer which lead to
failure. Fortunately, both these potential transformers and pole
transformers are very rugged devices which can be pushed at least 200%
(depending on transformer) of their rating, FOR SHORT PERIODS OF TIME!
Short periods of time is key phrase here.

Will they draw more than their ratings natur! ally. Yes, unlike NSTs, these
type of transformers are not current limited.
You attach a load to the output of the transformer, the input to the
transformer will try to suck the necessary power to run that load at its
rated voltage!

The Captain

-Chris