Re: Electrical Properties of Brass

Hi Jeremy,

Resistance = Resistivity X Length / Area

The numbers I have here are all in meters.

Copper = 1.7 x 10E-8  Ohm-Meters
Brass = 6.39E-8 Ohm-Meter

http://www.matweb-dot-com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=MBRASE

So brass is about 4X more resistive than copper at DC.

Skin Depth = 1 / SQRT(pi x f x Resistivity x Permeability)

Permeability = pi x 4e-7  H/m  X  Ur

Ur copper = 1
Ur brass = 1.05

http://www.npl.co.uk/electromagnetic/dclf/magnetics/lowpermeabilitylc.html

So the skin depth is about 1/2 that of copper since the resistivity is 4X.

The skin depth of copper is 2.602 / SQRT(F) inches.  At 154kHz that is
0.00663 inches.  So brass is roughly 0.0033 inches.  Your 16mil brass is
perfect.  At 2 inches wide, it is about the equivalent of 0.159 inch copper
tubing.

So I will say your brass strips will be about 50% more lossy than 1/4 inch
copper tubing.  Lots of "if, ands, ors, and buts" too all this... but the
brass will work "ok" for a 15/120 NST system.  You may loose about 2 to 4
inches as compared to 1/2 inch copper tubing or something but probably not
a big deal.

Cheers,

         Terry