Re: Electrical Properties of Brass

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>
 >
 > Hi,
 >
 > "I" would never use aluminum.  Aluminum forms thick (skin depth thick)
 > resistive oxide layers.  These are terrible for RF currents.

Why would not the current just pass under the oxide layer?
If this is a problem, then a conductor with an irregular surface
would be bad, or even a conductor painted with resistive ink would
be bad. Very strange.
It doesn't look difficult to compute what is the current distribution
at the surface of a conductor that has over it a layer with a
different resistivity, and then see what happens with the losses,
compared to the case when there is no resistive layer. The first
thing that I notice is that the skin depth is larger in a more
resistive material, and so the current is effectively pushed to
the conductive layer below.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz