Re: MOTs and ballasting

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/19/03 8:18:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
>Just a thought,  MOTs themselves are current limited to some degree by the
>shunts in them.  Do you suppose that we could run without a ballast, and
>get whatever the MOTS will dish out (probably no more than 6kva)?

Hi Steve,

You can run the MOTs unballasted externally but only if you submerge them
in oil, otherwise they'll overheat and burn up fairly quickly. As you said,
they
are somewhat internally ballasted theirselves but not like an NST or OBIT.

< Im looking forward to some 10-12 footers ;)

< Steve Ward.

 >From what others are claiming, you may be able to obtain that, though
I would personally opt for the "6 pack" MOT  (that's 6 MOT's in series)
if my spark length aspirations were that high.

Sparking in Memphis,
David Rieben