Re: MOTs and ballasting

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

Steve:

If there is a hollow core in your roll of wire, try sticking a handful of
steel rebar inside the hole.  This should give you some additional reactance
that will help limit your peak currents.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo   WI   53913

  Im working with a
 > friend on a large twin coil.  We have 4 mots for a 5-6kva supply
 > (hopefully).  We have a 240V 50A line.  But, as one could imagine, the
 > ballast is going to be a pain to design.  We do have a new roll of 500ft,
 > 10ga solid copper wire.
 > Has anyone tried such an air core inductor?  Or, our other option is the
MO