Calibration

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi All

I have a couple of electrostatic voltmeters, the latest being a 5kV model
built back in 1944 - beautiful instrument in a wooden case.  I also have a
3.5kV insulation tester.  All ex-armed forces stuff and in nice condition.

However, I have no idea as to how accurate these are and would like to
calibrate them.

The only "modern" instrument that I have is the "Coilers' Pal", a Wavetek
27XP digital multimeter.  Although it's limited to a measly 750V on the AC
range, I have some seriously meaty HV resistors with which I can do a
"divide by four".

Just how accurate would the Wavetek be, if I were to use it to calibrate
the other instruments?  My guess is that, for my purposes, more than adequate.

Has anyone done any comparisons between the Wavetek and "the really nice
machine at work" (whatever that might be)?

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith
IT Consultant - KBC, South Australia