Re: Induction coil driven Tesla coil driver information

Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

It IS possible to use an induction coil to power a tesla coil and to get
good sparks, depending on what you call "good" (is 6 or 7 inches good
enough) if you are prepared to run the TC in what amounts to "single-shot"
mode.

  This I achieved using a car ignition coil driven by 555 astable via a
Velleman-Kit K2543 transistor ignition driver. To see the diagram go to
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/  and look for "Ignition Coil HV
Generator.bmp".

To get large sparks I had to (a) use a large capacitance of 22nF or
thereabout for the tank capacitor and (b) connect a string of  sixty 1N4007
diodes between the HT terminal of ignition coil and the capacitor to prevent
the capacitor discharging back into the IC secondary.

This allowed the capacitor to be charged over several cycles of the
astable; as a consequence,  the
larger the capacitor  the less frequently the gap fired, as it took
longer to recharge between firing.

Charles D Rakes has more to say on this technique in his article first
published in the November 1999 edition of "Popular Electronics"
now available for reading on the web at
http://foxxz-dot-net/high-voltage/coilplans.shtml
http://foxxz-dot-net/high-voltage/teslaarticle.shtml.

Finally, just in case this sounds like lot of fuss when you already have an
IC capable of producing 6" sparks remember that many induction coils, high
voltage transformers and the like are incapable of such performance
and this was the output of the TC when the primary gap was set at a mere 3/8
of an inch.

Jolyon