RE: Magnifier topload size?

Original poster: "Jeff W. Parisse by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jparisse-at-teslacoil-dot-com>

Greg,

 > I'd argue that the capacitance of Electrum's sphere is very
 > close to that
 > of an ideal sphere, since the electric field a short distance
 > from the
 > outer surface would be very nearly the same.

My thinking (I've been wrong before) is that the above is true only at
high voltage (true, that's where it really counts) but wouldn't the
theoretical capacitance (read: low voltage) be based on the surface area
of the plate/dielectric. Given Faraday's law (charge on the outside) we
can only consider the portion of Electrum's rings facing outward (I
reason). Therefore the ringed sphere would have about half the surface
area (capacitance) than the ideal sphere?

Now let's turn it on...

Now, we know that there is a "virtual surface" of electrons that builds
up before breakout that make's our toroid "grow". Add I believe I
understand you to say that the "growth" between rings make the surface
"electrically continuous".

So far so good?

Jeff - kVA