Re: Electrical Properties of Aluminum and Network Analzyer was : RE: Brass

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com>

 > Terry,
 >
 > That test is severely flawed:
 > First, we already know that for the same cross-sectional area, aluminum has
 > a higher resisitivity per unit length than copper.  No need to use
 > a network analyzer for this.
 > Secondly, a network analyzer is not going to tell you squat about how an
 > oxidized coil performs under high rf current conditions like those occurring
 > in a
 > tesla coil.  You really need to make the measurements somehow at the rated
 > power levels you are going to operate at for the data to be meaningful.
 >
 > The Captain

	Guess I disagree with that.  The increase in effective resistance due
to skin effect is independent of the current; there's no mechanism which
could make it any different.

Ed