RE: Electrical Properties of Aluminum and Network Analyzer was : RE: Brass

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Dan wrote:
 >That test is severely flawed:
 >First, we already know that for the same cross-sectional area, aluminum has
 >a higher resisitivity per unit length than copper.  No need to use
 >a network analyzer for this.
 >Secondly, a network analyzer is not going to tell you squat about how an
 >oxidized coil performs under high rf current conditions like those occurring
 >in a
 >tesla coil.
 >
 >You really need to make the measurements somehow at the rated
 >power levels you are going to operate at for the data to be meaningful.

I disagree.  The fundamental circuit elements in a real primary inductor,
Rdc, Rac, L, and C, are all linear.  At any given frequency, these
parameters are constant regardless of voltage or current levels.  If there
is some _significant_ loss mechanism that is non-linear, I'm not aware of
it and I would be interested to learn more if you know of one.  Corona
losses are not linear, but for similar coil geometries, an Al coil would
have the same corona losses as a Cu coil.  A curve plotting AC resistance
vs. frequency on a network analyzer for similarly constructed copper and
aluminum inductors would be a definitive comparison.  If AC resistance of
the Al coil is higher on the network analyzer, it most certainly will have
comparably higher losses in a TC tank.  How much an x% increase in primary
AC resistance may impact the secondary spark length is still an open
question however.

Terry wrote:
 >Radio Shack sells like 10 gage aluminum ground wire for TV antennas.  Bare
 >copper wire of the same gage is common.  Just making a coil of each and run
 >them in a high RMS current primary circuit (secondary system not needed)
 >would do it.  I have too many things going on at the moment, but maybe
 >someone else ;-))

It was my plan to construct an aluminum coil for my series of network
analyzer AC resistance measurements, but I came up empty searching at Home
Depot and flea markets for Al wire.  Radio Shack - I never would have
guessed!  Their web site describes a 40 ft roll of 8 gauge aluminum ground
wire.  That sounds a bit stiff, but I'll check it out and see.  If they
stock it and if it is solid, I will construct and network-analyze an
aluminum primary, both before and after a salt-water soak.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA