Re: Secondary Circuit Ground Fault Protection

Original poster: "Jeremy Scott by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <supertux1-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I read those articles and it looks like the SGFP
is very sensitive to anything other than doing
what it's supposed to do -- exciting tubes of
gas.

It appears that the temporary NST short circuit
that any spark gap in parallel creates would almost
certainly trip the things.  (not just safety gaps
firing.) Also, Terry's NST filter forms an imperfect
voltage divider that would cause some minor
imbalances.

I pulled up Ye Olde pspice model of my coil
and threw a current probe on one side of the
NST. The main gap firings cause a little over
1 amp of current to flow through the secondary's
winding, after going through 5K of power resistors
on either side. (Part of Terry's NST filter)
This is normally ok because these shorts
only happen at the rate the spark gap fires.

To keep a 15/60 from drawing no more than 60mA
would require 160K power resistors in the filter.
But, according to my pspice model that would make
your 400KV peak sparks only 80KV peak sparks..bah.

The sad part is that UL/CSA is now
recommending/requiring this in all NSTs.

So... any ideas for ballasting a potential transfomer?

:)

BTW:

Here's a screen shot of the current primary design.

http://sunny.doit.wisc.edu/tesla/acad_coil.bmp

Make sure you have IE expand the full bitmap
so you can see the detail.

http://www.allanson-dot-com/tech_support/unitrantrouble.pdf