RE: SRSG questions

Hi Chris,

At 09:13 AM 4/22/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>Well... I just milled some flats in the rotor and now
>I don't know if it's synchronous. I'm pretty sure it
>is, but how can I check for sure? Also, is a .8-.9
>inch flat enough for a rotor 2-2.5 inches in diameter?
>I'm running at 3600 RPM.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Chris

I would not worry.  This really is nothing that can go wrong.  It is basic
iron and physics.  If the rotor has flats, it is synchronous.  Everyone
always asked about how to be sure, but no one has managed to violate the
laws of physics yet ;-))

If you put a card disk half white and half black on the shaft with tape or
whatever, it will be obvious under florescent light (the old ballast kind,
not the new fancy electronic lights).  A computer monitor at 60Hz can also
be used but they really are not perfectly 60Hz so a slight rotation my be
seen.  But no worries, you motor will work perfectly.

The exact size of the flats is not real critical at all.  I think John
Freau has experimented with far smaller flats with success.  If one takes
too much off, the motor starts to draw a lot of current and gets hot.  The
"instructions" seem to have something figured out with counting poles and
all, but it will work fine regardless.

Cheers,

         Terry