Re: OLTC - IGBT bricks

Original poster: "Stephen Conner by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <steve-at-scopeboy-dot-com>

At 12:56 23/04/03 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>
>
>Hi Steve,
>
>They will be here tomorrow and I will get your two out ASAP!
>
>I looked over the spec sheet and they look great!!

I think this calls for one of those mad professor laughs... WAA-HA-HA-HA-HA
Soon I vill control ze vorld!

>I do notice that Cies is a stunning 120nF!!!  They are going to need some
>serious gate drive to get them to 20V fast!!  I guess we need like
>Darlington pair IGBT inputs now :o))

I intend to make the gate driver out of 55V 60 amp discrete MOSFETs, which
ought to give plenty of current. There might be problems with ringing in
the gate circuit at this ridiculous current level... but I'll burn that
bridge when I come to it ;)

>But should not be a big deal really.  Apparently, they "can" be turned on
>in less than 0.5uS which is 20 times faster than we need...
>
>I hope they work.

Even if they don't something interesting is still bound to happen ;) Next
on the shopping list is a 10uF bank of geek group caps and a bunch of
copper strip.

Steve C.