Re: static "sucker" gap / cap stress

Original poster: "Christoph Bohr by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cb-at-luebke-lands.de>

Hi!

Good to find someone who knows the cap, although I think I have seen them on
some coils on the net.
I got mine from alltronics on ebay for 50$, think this was OK. It came
without a label but with the catalog number scratched into the housing.
I thought about buying another one, Tesla Systems Research is offering them
for 73$ I think...wonder if the price is OK.... I initially bought this one
because I was looking for extra security, hearing that they can blow up too
is really disappointing....I have to do most coiling indoors.
At the moment I am transferring roughly 5 KVA through the system, maybe that
is too much for a single cap, but your Idea with the "emergency shut off "
via temperature sensing seems really good and I'll probably build something
like this and with the new information shielding will surely be installed
next time.
Do you think I should buy another cap? or is any other maxwell type better
suitable? or MMC.....at least MMCs seem to be "blow up friendly" for indoor
use.
BTW: I checked my spec paper again and its really has a line in it which
says: max continuos rep rate: 500 PPS....I thought this means 500 shots per
second....but that was probably wrong after what you said....or I might have
the wrong spec sheet.
My sheet can be seen at http://www.luebke-lands.de/media/20P005.pdf  maybe
you can have a llok at it or hand me a link to your paper....

Thanks for your support!

sincerely

Christoph