Re: Magnifier conversion

Hi Antonio,

At 10:06 PM 4/26/2003 -0300, you wrote:
>Tesla list wrote:
>
> > Original poster: "Terry Fritz" <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>
>
> > I predicted the C2 would need to be 164pF.  But with the Cself of L2, the
> > wire from L2 to L3 and the corona rings, I predicted that the real C2
> > capacitor would have to be 134pF to tune this part of the system to
> > 160.0kHz.  As it turned out C2 actually had to be adjusted 133.5pF ;-)))  I
> > guess I am getting pretty good at this stuff after all these years :o)  But
> > really, the computer models predict things almost better than I can measure
> > now.  C2 just has a wire to remove bottom caps from the stack as needed:
>
>When L3 is in place, it will add some capacitance to that node too.
>A value similar to its self-capacitance.

I think I modeled that into the C3 value.

> > Tonight I hope to get the rest put together and do some signal generator
> > testing were the signal generator is programmed with a simulated primary
> > signal.  That should confirm the rest of the tuning and all.
>
>The simplest method is to replace the gap by a slow low-impedance
>(1 Ohm) square wave generator, and look at the voltage over the
>primary inductor. Adjust the primary tap (or the top load, as I
>like to do) and C2 until you see a sequence of similar beats, as
>obtained in the simulations. Use your hands close to the tops of
>L3 and L2 to see where to go. A variable capacitor (radio type)
>as C2 is useful to see what is the effect of C2. The beat sequence
>appears all at once when C2 has the right value.

I hooked my low-Z amp up to the signal generator and feed it a sawtooth
wave.  Looks like this:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NewMag/0426-04.gi

The yellow wave is just a wire antenna near the base of L3 and the blue if
off the C2 voltage divider.  I did not have a chance to get out the "good
stuff" tonight to check things so these waveforms may be distorted and
such.  In this case, there is no quench, gap loss, streamer loss,
etc.  However, it does seem to be working well.  It will have to get fine
tuned "later".  ;-))

> > Then tomorrow, it will all go to the Denver High Voltage Meeting for first
> > light.

Been getting all the stuff together and ready to go:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/NewMag/0426-06.jpg

Should be a ton of fun :-))))

Cheers,

         Terry