Three phase from single phase

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

Hello Coilers,

Regarding the chap wanting three phase power in his house, a number of
you have given him sound advice about the cost of getting a three phase
service installed.  You just want the service, not a substantial share
in the power company!  There's a much cheaper way to do it, and that's
to make a rotary converter using a 3 phase motor and some run caps.

I've built about six or seven of them, in sizes ranging from 5 to 100
horsepower.  The units are not overly complicated, but there are a few
pitfalls to avoid, and I'd be willing to discuss off list the details
of the ones I constructed.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody has survived it yet!"

Listening: 7,055, 147.030+, and 442.075+
http://www.hurontel.on.ca/~weazle