Re: Microsim Modeling - SRSG

Hi Jeremy,

At 12:17 AM 4/28/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've been experimenting around in microsim trying
>to figure out the optimal settings for a rotary
>spark gap.
>
>The problem which is usually not evident is that
>unlike the real world, microsim ass-u-me-s unlimited
>power. It doesn't know or care that a transformer is
>designed for 60mA, it will draw whatever it takes from
>the secondary to charge the tank capacitor. Throwing a
>current probe on the other side of the transformer
>will show in excess of 40A on the primary. That loud
>snap was the tiny 15A breaker signalling it's
>displeasure with the situation. That smell is the 14
>gauge wire in the wall beginning to smolder.

You need to model the 15/60NST.  See:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/BigCoil/BigCoilSCH.gif

By adding winding resistance and reducing the coupling, the short circuit
current will be reduced to 60mA just like the real NST.

>So, do we fire on 60Hz peaks, giving 120BPS, or
>should we try for more BPS in hopes to achieve
>more spark length performance.

If you reduce the cap size (resonant or less) you can get higher BPS.  Not
sure that does any good at all.

See:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/NSTStudy/NSTStudy.htm

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/modact/modact.html