Re: one component closer to first light

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/28/03 4:59:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
> >Christopher 'CajunCoiler' Mayeux
> >http://www.cajuncoiler.tk
> >

>Hi Christopher, Coilers,
>
>I hope you live in a dry area...that looks like a chunk of
>plywood you've built your filter on.  I'd be quite worried
>about carbon tracking as the wood wicks up moisture out of
>the air.  If you dried it well, then coated it good with a
>sealant like your poly, you might be OK.  Also, you didn't
>say how thick the blobs of glue are, so they may provide a
>bit of additional insulation from the wood.  You've done a
>fine job otherwise.  Happy and safe coiling!

Weazle, Christopher "Cajun Coiler",

With a handle like "Cajun Coiler", I am going to have to assume that
Christopher resides in the "Bayou State"  aka - Louisiana! Unfortunately,
that is not a well-know region for dryness ;^(  Even more uncomfortably
humid summers than my native Memphis. BTW, I've never had much
success with wood as dielectric for HV here in Memphis, unless I
placed some HDPE between the wood and the live HV. Wood always
invariably started carbon tracking, slightly at first, but it gradually got
worse and worse. Like Weazle said, maybe if Chris thoroughly dried
the wood and then competely poly coated it before it had a chance to
pick up unwanted moisture, it may just work, even in a humid environ-
ment. I know my 12" cardboard sonotube secondary form for my 10
kVA pig driven coil has done exceptionally well for the past 3 years
in my humid environment. I did place it out in the sun on a hot summer
afternoon for several hours to dry it out before I wound the coil on it.
As soon as I had wound the coil on it, I painted it with layer after layer
of spar varnish polyurethane until it was totally encapsulated with spar
varnish. I've been throwing 8 to 10 ft. sparks from this 38.5" long card-
board secondary form for the past three years now.

David Rieben